Western Slope 4 Wheelers Bylaws Revised February 2016
These Bylaws were established in 1998, revised in 2010, revised in December 2014, revised in February 2016, and supersede all other Bylaws of the Western Slope 4 Wheelers.
I. ARTICLE: Name
A. The name of this organization shall be the Western Slope 4 Wheelers. The legal name of this organization is the Western Slope 4 Wheelers, Inc.
1. Herein referred to as “the club”.
II. ARTICLE: Object
A. The club will be organized as a not-for-profit 501(c)(7) organization.
B. In case of disbandment, all bills shall be paid. Any club owned equipment and/or supplies will be inventoried and sold or given to another 501(c)(7) organization. An audit of the books will be reviewed by a majority of the membership and any monies remaining in the account will be donated to another 501(c)(7) organization.
III. ARTICLE: Objective
A. To bring together 4×4 enthusiasts for fellowship on and off the trails, and to promote the interests of family four-wheeling.
B. Participate in and support activities to protect fullsize OHV access to our Public Lands, for present day users as well as future generations.
C. To promote the sport and pastime of four-wheel drive motoring in all of its modes.
D. The club prohibits discrimination against any person on the basis of race, color, or religion.
IV. ARTICLE: Membership and Dues
1. All references to paid voting members will be referred to as Full Members or Full Memberships.
2. Full and Associate Memberships are open to four-wheel drive vehicle owners who support the objectives of the club. All types of wheelers are welcome, from trail riders to hardcore enthusiasts.3. Minimum age requirement for members is 18. Each member must have a valid driver’s license. Each member must abide by all state and local vehicle laws.
4. Members are responsible for their own personal safety and safety equipment.
5. All members shall conduct themselves in a responsible, respectable, and orderly fashion during Club functions. Any Full Member who believes another Full Member or Elected Officer is consistently behaving in an inappropriate manner, or who believes another Full Member or Elected Officer is not fulfilling their duties, may bring the issue to the attention of the entire Board of Elected Officers. The Board of Elected Officers shall work to resolve the issue, and may subsequently decide, by secret ballot majority vote, whether or not to refer the issue to the club membership at the next regular meeting. If an Elected Officer is the subject of the issue, that Elected Officer shall abstain from the Board’s referral vote. In the event of a tie vote by the Board of Elected Officers, the issue shall be referred to the club membership at the next regular meeting.
6. No member shall use the club website and/or email list of membership for private or personal advertising or gain except on the classified ads portion of the website.
7. The Club reserves the right to terminate any membership upon the majority vote of at least 25% of the Full Memberships. Termination of membership will be voted on upon the first meeting after the original motion is made.
8. Ex-members are requested to remove all Club decals upon leaving the Club.
9. Full members and their spouse or significant other shall be entitled to all privileges of membership, including holding an elected or appointed position. Each Full Membership is entitled to one vote. Either spouse or significant other may exercise their membership’s one vote. A spouse, significant other, or eligible dependant may pay dues to become a voting member.
10. New Full Members will be given two club decals at no charge, and shall receive newsletters for the duration of their membership. Additional club decals may be purchased at the current rate as voted on by the Elected Officers.
11. Associate (individual) Memberships are open to all individuals who meet the membership requirements and are active members in another OHV club or live at least 100 miles from Montrose, CO. They may participate in all Club events. Associate members shall receive Club newsletters for the duration of their membership. Club decals may be purchased at the current rate as voted on by the Elected Officers. Associate memberships are specific to the Western Slope 4 Wheelers and do not have voting rights.
1. The Elected Officers shall annually establish a Budget Committee consisting of at least three members. The Budget Committee shall recommend to the Elected Officers amounts for the Full and Associate Membership dues for the upcoming year. The Elected Officers shall consider the Budget Committee’s recommendations, and shall present a motion for Membership vote at the November meeting to set the dues for the upcoming year.
2. Annual membership dues are payable at the January meeting. Memberships not paid in full by the March meeting will be dropped from the roster. Elected Officer dues shall be comped for the duration of each Officer’s service.
3. After the March club meeting the dues for new memberships and renewal of expired memberships will be prorated per month based on the full dues amount for that year.
1. Only Full Members who have attended at least four Club functions (meetings included) by August 31st may participate in the election of Officers in December.
2. All other matters may be voted on by paying Full Members.
3. Full Members must be present at Club functions to vote.
4. The majority of voting Full Members rules.
5. All voting will be recorded in the Club minutes.
6. Sponsor and Associate Memberships shall have no voting privileges.
V. ARTICLE: Club Sponsorship
A. Club Sponsorships are open to businesses and individuals who support the Objectives of the club, and are not conditioned on ownership of a four wheel drive vehicle. Club Sponsors shall receive the club newsletter for the duration of their sponsorship if requested. Club Sponsorships may be sold at any time during the year and may be for six or twelve month periods.
B. The Elected Officers shall recommend the structure and amount(s) of the Club Sponsorship levels for the upcoming year. Their recommendations shall be put to a vote by the Membership at the November meeting before the upcoming year.
VI. ARTICLE: Meetings
A. Official Club Meetings
1. Club meetings will be held on the first Tuesday of each month. The location and time will be determined by majority Club vote. Board meetings will be held at the discretion of the Elected Officers, and are open to all Full Members for observation.
1. Roberts Rules of Order, unless otherwise specified in the current revision of the By-Laws, shall govern the membership meetings.
1. The presence of two Elected Officers shall constitute a quorum for choice of a Chairperson and adjournment of the meeting.
2. Minimum of one quarter of the Full Members must be present to conduct official business. (Full Members see: Article IV section C).
3. In the absence of the President and the Vice-President, the Treasurer shall act as Chairperson and if no officer is present, or if all officers present decline to act as Chairperson, the Full Members present shall choose one of their number to be Chairperson. Also, a Full Member shall take notes and turn them into the Secretary if the Secretary is absent.
D. Special Meetings
1. The Elected Officers, by majority vote, may conduct a special meeting of the membership at their discretion.
2. All special meetings will have minutes taken. The minutes will be turned into the Club Secretary.
3. The Elected Officers may invite members or non-members to the special meetings at their discretion, to obtain information or opinions.
4. All Full Members must be notified by email or phone call of any special meeting. Such notification shall be made at least one week in advance of any special meeting.
VII. ARTICLE: Administration and Officers
A. The Officers of the Western Slope 4 Wheelers, Inc. shall consist of President, Vice-President, Secretary, Treasurer, and Land Use Officer. The Officers shall be known as the Elected Officers. It shall be their duty to draw up an agenda for all membership meetings and to enforce the By-Laws. If the Elected Officers do not enforce the By-Laws, they are subject to dismissal from office.
1. The Club being incorporated April 15, 1998, proof of incorporation shall be in the possession of the Colorado Secretary of State and the Club Secretary.
B. The officers shall have the power to appropriate and expend $250 per quarter from the treasury without approval by the members. Three of the five officers must approve such expenditures.
1. All other expenditures incurred must be approved by a membership vote at a Club function.
C. Each Officer is responsible for his/her duties as listed in each Officer’s duties.
D. No Elected Officer shall be held responsible for the acts, receipts, neglects, or defaults of any other Officer or member.
1. The election of the President and Secretary will be held during odd years. The election of the Vice-President, Treasurer, and Land Use Officer will be held during even years.
2. There will be no term limits on Elected Officers.
3. Nominations for open Elected Officer positions will be taken during the November meeting.
4. Elections will be voted on during the December meeting. New officers will take their positions effective January 1st. Nominations will be opened, motioned, and closed at the November meeting, and cannot be reopened thereafter.
5. Should an Elected Officer position become vacant, the Full Members shall make nominations to fill the vacancy for the remainder of the term. Voting on the nominations will take place during the next meeting, at which time the majority winner will take office.
6. Voting for Elected Officers shall be by secret ballot.
7. The Full Members have the right to dismiss, by majority vote of at least 25% of the Full Memberships, any Elected Officer who is not fulfilling his or her responsibilities or whose behavior is consistently inappropriate.
1. Each committee must be approved by a majority vote of the Full Members.
2. All committee finances are to be managed by the Club Treasurer.
3. Committee meeting results shall be reported to the Elected Officers.
4. Committee members shall elect their committee chairman by secret ballot majority vote.
G. Elected Officers’ Duties
1. President – shall preside at meetings, and shall conduct them in a respectable and orderly manner. Shall be open to any and all suggestions made by Full Members. Shall have the duties of carrying out the policies and decisions agreed upon by the majority of Club members. Shall have permission to sign checks. Shall make every effort to attend the Treasurer’s financial audit meetings in January and July. Shall act upon correspondence brought to his/her attention. Shall work to increase Club membership. Shall maintain and encourage good relationships with other area four-wheel drive clubs.
2. Vice-President – shall assist the President and act in his/her absence. Shall be responsible for conducting the selection of monthly trail runs and events, and assist with selecting a trail and event leaders. Shall coordinate runs, events, and fundraisers. Shall have permission to sign checks. Shall make every effort to attend the Treasurer’s financial audit meetings in January and July. Shall work to increase Club membership. Shall assist in obtaining Club Sponsorships. Shall maintain and encourage good relationships with other area four-wheel drive clubs.
3. Secretary – shall maintain a written record of all Club meetings. Shall have the minutes typed and distributed to the Elected Officers within five days of each meeting. Shall be responsible for the preparation, assembly and distribution of the Club Newsletter in a timely manner. Shall update changes to the By-Laws. Shall have permission to sign checks. Shall make every effort to attend the Treasurer’s financial audit meetings in January and July. Shall maintain a complete collection of the meeting minutes from all previous meetings. Shall maintain records of attendance at Club meetings, runs, and events. Shall send renewal notices to all unpaid members by March 1st. Shall maintain and encourage good relationships with other area four-wheel drive clubs.4. Treasurer – shall receive all membership dues and all other club receipts. Shall maintain a current club roster of Full and Associate Memberships. Shall maintain a list of Club Sponsors, including their sponsorship levels and renewal dates. Shall issue all club decals, patches, and fundraising merchandise upon receipt of payment for these items. May work with the Public Liaison or another Full Member to ensure the appropriate distribution of these items. Shall make bank deposits. Shall have permission to sign checks. Shall disperse authorized funds. Shall prepare checks for payment. May transfer the Club bank account to a more convenient bank upon approval by three of the five Elected Officers. Shall hold financial audit meetings with the other Elected Officers every January and July. During the January audit, both the incoming and outgoing Treasurer shall be present if applicable. During this meeting all books and accounting paperwork shall transfer from the outgoing Treasurer to the incoming Treasurer. Shall present a Treasurer’s report at each monthly Club meeting. Shall reconcile bank accounts monthly. Shall maintain and encourage good relationships with other area four-wheel drive clubs.
5. Land Use Officer – shall act as Club representative to the USFS, BLM, and any other groups or clubs regarding land use issues. Shall maintain a history of all volunteer hours and produce a report describing such volunteer hours. Shall maintain and encourage good relationships with other area four-wheel drive clubs. Shall make every effort to attend the Treasurer’s financial audit meetings in January and July.
H. The following appointed positions shall be held by a Full Member selected by a majority vote of the Elected Officers. The Elected Officers may dismiss an appointee by majority vote:
1. Webmaster – responsible for the preparation and maintenance of the club’s website and web services.
2. Public Liaison – shall promote the Club, work to increase the membership, maintain Club brochures, obtain Club Sponsors, and attend public meetings as necessary.
VIII. ARTICLE: Safety
A. The following safety equipment is required on all members’ vehicles:
1. Seatbelts for driver and all passengers.
2. A roll bar is required on all vehicles without a hard top.
3. An adequate fire extinguisher.
4. Tow rope or strap without metal hooks, and adequate attachment points front and rear.
5. First-aid kit.
6. Spare tire and/or plug kit.
7. C.B. radio recommended, with antenna no longer than six feet.
B. The following safety equipment is required on all guests’ vehicles:
1. Seat belts for driver and all passengers.
2. A roll bar on all vehicles without a hard top.
C. All members, guests, and passengers shall wear their seatbelts on Club runs.
D. All members must conduct themselves in a responsible, respectable, and orderly fashion during Club functions.
E. The consumption of alcoholic beverages during a club function where driving is involved will be prohibited until after the driving for the day is concluded.
1. All members and guests are responsible for their own property and personal safety.
IX. ARTICLE: Bylaws
A. These Bylaws may be amended by a majority vote of the membership, provided that at least 25% of the Full Members are present. Proposed changes to the Bylaws shall be presented in written form to an Elected Officer. The Elected Officers shall present those changes to the membership at the next regular Club meeting for discussion and modification. If the changes are to be voted on, the vote shall occur at the second regular Club meeting. If the Bylaws vote quorum is not met at the second meeting, the vote shall occur at the next regular Club meeting that has a quorum. Reasonable effort shall be made to publish the proposed changes in a Club newsletter between the two regular Club meetings, for timely review by all members.